Quick Links


Availability for Casual Bookings
on Saturdays

Regular Bookings
Sunday through Friday

The Rest


Booking Procedure



Hiring Fees

Hiring Policy

Sample Hiring Agreement

Terms & Conditions of Hire



Page last updated at 14:51 on Tuesday, 12 June 2018
Alcohol and the need for a Licence

The Hall is not licensed on a continuous basis for the sale of alcohol.  This means if alcohol is to be sold at any function permission needs to be sought from the appropriate authorities.

The Licensing Act 2003 ("the Act") introduced with effect from 10 November 2005, a light touch system of permitted temporary activities to replace the old occasional licences and occasional permissions previously granted in connection with short-term alcohol and public entertainment licensing.  This system involves an event organiser (the "premises user") submitting a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to the relevant authorities.

NB: As far as we are aware a TEN need is not needed if alcohol is either given away at a function or the function is a BYO (Bring Your Own).

Historical note: Under the the system which existed before 10 November 2005 the organiser of an event involving the sale of alcohol has to go to the local magistrates to get a one off licence known as an Occasional Permission to sell alcohol at an event.  The Occasional Permission could be valid for a maximum of 24 hours and cost 10.  Organisers could apply for several Occasional Permissions covering a three month period at the same flat-rate of 10.  If an event involved regulated public entertainment, the organiser had to go to the local authority to get permission.


How to submit a TEN for a function at the Charles Morris Hall

Applications forms for TENs can be downloaded and printed from http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/alcohol_and_entertainment/3189.aspx or http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/Images/Temporary%20Event%20Notice_tcm15-52523.pdf; both pages last visited on 12 April 2018.

Any applicant for a TEN must be aged 18 or over.

A TEN must be received by the appropriate authorities at least ten (10) working days before the date of the function to which the TEN applies.  Please note for the purpose of TENs working days do not include the days on which a TEN is submitted (e.g. day of posting) and received as well as Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays, and Public Holidays.

It is a requirement that the "premises user" sends at least one copy of the TEN to the Licensing Authority at least 10 working days before the commencement of the proposed licensable activities / event.  The Licensing Authority will give you written acknowledgement of the receipt of the notice. This will be important proof that you gave the notice and when you gave it for the purposes of the Act.

One copy of the TEN must be sent to the Chief Officer of Police addressed as follows:
Licensing Officer
Community Safety Unit
St Albans Police
Civic Centre
St Peter's Street

Tel: 01727 796007

One copy of the TEN must be sent to the Environmental Health Authority addressed as follows:
Regulatory Services

St Albans City & District Council
Civic Centre
St Peter's Street

Tel: 01727 819406

One copy of the TEN must be sent to the Licensing Authority (with payment) addressed as follows:

St Albans City & District Council
Civic Centre
St Peter's Street

Tel: 01727 819541

If emailing the notice, the Licensing Authority will provide copies to the relevant persons.  However, you must ensure that the email has the abbreviation TEN in the subject line.

SOURCE: http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/business/Business-in-St-Albans/StAlbans-Council-Services-for-Businesses/BusinessLicences/alcohol-and-entertainment-licences/appying/types/one-off-events.aspx, page last visited on 12 April 2018.

Alternatively you may wish to contact a licensee (i.e. a pub land-lord/lady) with a view to running a bar for your function.  As well as not having to complete the TEN this will save you the hassle of acquiring stock and glasses as well as organising staff to serve during your function.  A licensee will probably levy a charge for serving the TEN.

A copy of any TEN submitted in connection with a booking at the Hall must be delivered to the Booking Officer no later than one (1) week before the date of the booking to which it applies.

NB: Article 2.7 of our Standard Terms & Conditions of Hire provides that any TEN covering the sale of alcohol at the Hall must be valid until no later than 23:00 (11.00pm) on the day of the function.


Return to Home page